Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Three Minute Story

I was reading One door away from heaven, by Dean Koontz. And there was a line in there that took me aback, and I knew I just had to write about it. Its early in the book, when a character is talking to a waitress in a Country and Western Bar.

She gives him her philosophy, and answers with the line. "When you listen to country music all day, every day, you start to seeing everyone as a three minute story."

Are we all just three minute stories to everyone around us. Can you tell your story in three minutes, can our entire lives be broken down into something so simple. And if we did break them down to their simplest forms, would we all be so unique, or are we just like everyone else.

Here is my three minute story, the best way i can tell, it words that echo through my head. I am not getting weppy or sentimental. Think of it as a recap, or maybe this is the first time you have heard the tale.

I was born in May, I weighed less than 6 pounds. My dad did odd jobs, including Factory Work, and grave digging. And he liked to drink. alot. I never seen him hit my mom, manly because my mom was a strong women, and the first time he slapped her, she damn near killed both of them. Dad learned early mom was not going to take his crap.

Eventually my dad gave up the booze. Dad said it was the doctors that made him give it up. Mom said it was her. I kinda side with my mom on that story. My grandparents fought all the time. I don't know how often I was in the middle of some argument where ash trays were thrown. My parents never fought like that.

I had friends in school. And my best friend growing up was Jodie. A girl. Its probably where I learned all my good and bad habits. When she was mad at me, I always felt guilty. Kinda like when I was married. But I also learned how to treat a women, because you learn alot when one is your best friend. When she was mad I learned gifts were great. At seven a Popsicle is the equivalent of a diamond ring.

In 5th grade we moved. The landlord was tearing down the only home I had ever known. The only friends I had ever had would be so far away that I would rarely see them. We moved to a trailer park, where I would start the next half of my life.

At my old school, I was quite popular, people knew me forever. All my friends were there. At the trailer park, I made friends fast, but it was odd because for the longest time, I was the oldest. I met two people that I would be friends with for a long time. Kristen and Ben.

Kristen was 3 years younger than me, but we all loved her. In a way she became like a sister for me. And Ben well, you have heard the Ben stories. School was a different Story. The school district I moved to was full of the preppiest kids in school. They were mostly stuck up, and they turned me into an outcast.

After 2 years I thought my luck had changed. I got changed into a different school district. This was good news I thought. I was going back to to the Junior high i would have orginally stayed at.

However I met with some resistance. I was now an outsider again. Most of my friends barely remembered me. And I was kind stuck in limbo, where I made more enemies than friends. Where I got picked on by a 5 foot troll and his 400 pound twin goons. I hated it. I am not a fighter. And yet every day me and Ben got tormented by this little troll.

I eventually graduated from Troll high. And spent my life in the video business. I never kissed a girl til I was 20. Lost my virginity before I was 21. It was silly and I was stupid. I thought I was in love. Back then I fell in love way to easily.

I met the girl I would marry in 98, got married in 00. Then 11 months later my dad died. My mom moved in with us. And she bought us a home to live in. A modlar home. That after a few years started to fall apart.

And then i made the worst decsion I ever made. My "wife" wanted a new house, and we found a beautiful home. 2 stories, plenty of room to have children, a basement so I could play video games in piece. I had to convince my mom to file bankruptcy. The old house was falling apart anyway, and we knew we could not sell it.

So I convinced her. We moved into the new house on Thanksgiving day. Unloaded our Uhaul after Turkey. I thought my life could not get much better than that.

5 months later. We come back from a trip to see her niece. She was in a good mood that weekend. She was late. And for the first time i thought I was really going to be a daddy. When we get home we find out the truth, nope. A week later after a fight that last a weekend. She lights a cigarette and tells me she wants a divorce.

I spent the next year trying anything to win her back. But hey, one loser after another is better for her than me. (I think she met one decent guy the entire time she dated after me)

It took me along time to come to terms with this. But i did. I am over her. I never thought I would say that, but I am saying that.

Now I am walking the lonely roads again, but I have met someone who I think is special. She gives me hope. And hope is great medicince. She is not into anything serious, but you know what. For her I could wait forever.

So thats my 3 minute Story, Going on eternity.

So whats your three minute stories?

Robert

Labels:

 
posted by Hendersonman at 8:42 PM, |

0 Comments: